August 12, 2013

.Another path.



As I end my maternity leave, I think about another path I could have taken.  I have not taken this summer for granted as this may be the only summer in the near-future without the obligations of work (you lucky teachers!).  If you would have asked me years ago if I ever wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, I would have excitedly discussed my career plans, and while yes, I would like a family 'one day,' no I had no plans to stop working.  That was until I met my kids.  Now I wonder how life would be if I had chosen differently...

Because staying at home with my girls is always fun, never dull, and more fulfilling than I could have imagined.  It never gets old to get to experience and see things from their eyes, and while it's a lot of work (hats off to you stay-at-home parents!), it's the kind of work you don't mind.

Yes I love what I do, and I don't regret my decisions, but it's interesting to realize that you never really know what you think you know.  I knew being a stay-at-home mom wasn't right for me... until I didn't.   For now, I work to enjoy it all and constantly do that common self-reflection and evaluation where you consider your priorities and what really matters, and what will make you the happiest.

Because that's the beauty of happiness.  It's ever-changing, fluid, and unpredictable, so there's always the possibility of more.

No comments: