July 6, 2012

.Am I addicted?


An interesting article to chew on for the weekend.

Am I addicted to the busyness?  Will I always feel the need to maximize on every single minute of the day?  I continue to tell myself that once I graduate, once I get licensure, once I pay my dues, life will slow down... I will slow down.  Is that true? 
"Idleness is not just a vacation, an indulgence or a vice; it is as indispensable to the brain as vitamin D is to the body, and deprived of it we suffer a mental affliction as disfiguring as rickets. The space and quiet that idleness provides is a necessary condition for standing back from life and seeing it whole, for making unexpected connections and waiting for the wild summer lightning strikes of inspiration — it is, paradoxically, necessary to getting any work done."
I'll especially be reflecting on this quote from the article along with the author's ending statement, "Life is too short to be busy," as I hammer out several assignments that I have been neglecting this weekend.  To be honest, idleness sounds as likely as a purple-spotted unicorn right about now, but I am determined to work on this; I just have to add it to my to-do list :)

1 comment:

sarah - dodeline design said...

I am exactly the same way. Idleness stresses me out and depresses me; it's just never agreed with me, but I know it's good sometimes. I need to learn how to be better at that.